June 02, 2010

An Atheist's Pilgrimage

Having grown up in a small, predominantly Catholic community, I was not exposed to any other creeds or religious beliefs early on in life. To this day I can still remember how shocked I was when I was first introduced to the Big Bang theory. Although I did not know it at the time, this moment put me on an ideological pilgrimage that over many years would help me define the governing principles of my adult life. I had at last been exposed to a sort of atheist Mecca--a place where logic and reason and critical thinking could reign supreme over the falsehood and lies that are religion.

As I grew up, and began to think more critically of the world around me, I slowly started to reject the preachings of the church. While it was at times difficult to give up the comfort that undoubtedly came from recognizing a higher power, I learned that ultimately truth is the greater reward. Just like the realization that Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny are not the ones bringing presents and chocolate, abandoning my belief in the stories of the Bible meant giving up a faith my parents had instilled in me since birth.

I liken my experience to that of Plato's Philosopher King who leaves the cave of ignorance and finally sees the light of truth. Although there was a certain comfort in the cave, and the journey to the surface was an ideological struggle, getting there has been well worth the effort. Not only have I been able to remove the veil of religious ignorance, but the process of self-enlightenment has also sharpened my analytical skills. Free from the ideological control of an overbearing religious dictatorship, my mind was both free to think for itself, and in possession of the tools to do so.

The world may never agree that religion is in essence an archaic mythology, that while purposeful in the past, has long overstayed its welcome. However, this bleak prospect should not discourage others from embarking on their own intellectual pilgrimage and coming to terms with the realities of the world they live in.