June 09, 2010

Wanted on the Voyage

As the title suggests, one of the themes that runs throughout Not Wanted on the Voyage is who was permitted to accompany Noah on the ark. Findley's portrayal of the Biblical fable highlights the absurdity of God's edict that arbitrarily specified who would be saved and who would not. One of the most emotional examples is Noah's attempt to burn Mottyl, the family cat, because God's two cats had already been selected. However, God permitted Noah to take several sheep on board. While the rules are specific in some areas, God also left loopholes, one of which allowed Lucifer to marry Noah's son and thus escape the flood with the family. Apart from the obvious holes this pokes in the belief in an all-powerful, all-knowing God (why didn't he just prevent Mottyl from boarding if the edict was so important?), it also leads one to ponder "what would I take on the ark?" What would I want, and not want, on the voyage?

Well, for starters, while I certainly feel that it was noble of Noah to attempt to preserve each animal species, modern science has taught us that multiple members of each species would be required in order to preserve genetic diversity. This makes it nearly impossible to save all of animal kind within the confines of one ark. Although I commend God for being concerned about animals for a change--as opposed to relishing in their sacrificial slaughter--I am also left wondering about the survival of our plants, minerals, and bacteria, not to mention the myriad of art and artifacts that represent our human history. In a magical world (like that of the Bible), I would turn the ark into a Marry Poppins-esque bag, and fit every plant, animal, mineral, single-celled organism, work of art and artifact that I could find. In reality, I would take a very thorough collection of photographs.

Now that our culture and the elements of our earth are accounted for (in one way or another), it is time to consider my personal affairs. Without question I would take my family, friends, pets, and anyone with a skill or ability that would make surviving an extended voyage less dreary. We've all seen the movies where some cataclysmic event is looming over earth and only a select number of people can be saved. Typically some bureaucrat chooses three types of people: those with money, those whose work is essential to human survival, and those with luck. If I was in charge, I would require everyone to audition and only select those who are creative and I could get along with--I have no desire to be trapped on an ark with an obnoxious know-it-all no matter how smart they are! As for bribes, what use would money be after the whole world is submerged under the waters of God's fury anyway?

Last but not least, my things. For better or worse, there are certain inanimate objects that I would have trouble parting with for the rest of my life, and that I would simply be bored to tears without. First, flood or no flood, I want a high speed internet connection. I don't care how the techies do it, but this is a must. I might no longer need to use the internet to communicate with others (since we are all in one ark), but lets face it, everyone has e-talked to someone in the same room at one point or another. Second, my comfort items--those things that due to sentimental value bring me joy, happiness, and peace. Third, entertainment: Xbox, boardgames, music, videos, you name it. I don't plan on watching the water for however long it takes God to get over his issues. But when the rains stop, and the sun comes out again, it will be time to sit on the deck in a comfy lounge chair and enjoy the final thing I want on my voyage--a really big stack of books.

No comments:

Post a Comment